Greetings from the President
By Pamela B. Johnson
Tennessee Court of Workers’ Compensation Claims
As you know, the NAWCJ is an organization focused on education, collaboration, and networking opportunities. In early March, we held our New Judges’ Virtual Boot Camp, where 38 new adjudicators learned from experienced judges and legal experts on matters of transitioning from advocate to adjudicator, judicial writing, conducting hearings and handling discovery disputes, weighing evidence and ruling on objections, and dealing with unrepresented litigants.
In a few short months, we will hold our Annual Educational College in sunny Orlando, Florida from August 20-23, 2023. The curriculum will include topics ranging from judicial writing, assessing credibility, determining evidentiary objections, gig economy and worker claims, comparative law panels, ethics and professionalism, and making causation determinations in light of statutory presumptions. The Annual College will also include a joint NAWCJ and SAWCA reception and presentation of the 2023 Hall of Fame Class of Inductees. The agenda and registration will be available in the next few weeks. In the meantime, mark your calendars, and I hope to see you there.
I will conclude by encouraging all of you to become and remain involved with the NAWCJ. Join a committee, attend the Lunch and Learn programs, and/or volunteer with the Moot Court program and Give Kids the World events. Every NAWCJ activity is an opportunity to learn and engage with judges from across the country.
We offer many opportunities to get involve. Please mark your calendars and save the date for these upcoming NAWCJ events and programs:
- June 7, 2023, at 12:30 p.m. ET – Virtual Lunch and Learn: Repetitive Use Injuries
- July 28, 2023, from 10:00 a.m. ET to 5:00 p.m. ET – E. Earle Zehmer National Moot Court Competition Virtual Preliminary Rounds – VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
- August 20, 2023, beginning at 11:30 a.m. ET – E. Earle Zehmer National Moot Court Competition Quarter & Semi-Final Rounds – VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
- August 20-23, 2023 – Annual College, Orlando, Florida
- December 6, 2023, at 12:30 p.m. ET – Virtual Lunch and Learn: Gig Workers
If you wish to get more involved, or if I can be of any assistance, please feel welcome to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.